Colak at double as Rangers rout Hearts, Hatate fires Celtic past Motherwell

Antonio Colak’s clinical first-half double set Rangers on their way to a 4-0 win at 10-man Hearts, before Celtic reclaimed top spot in the Scottish Premiership with a hard-fought 2-1 home win over Motherwell.

At Tynecastle, Colak took his tally for the season to 11 since joining from Malmö in the summer, first heading in off the post from Ryan Kent’s cross, and then clipping the ball beyond Craig Gordon from Rabbi Matondo’s nicely weighted pass.

Things got worse for Hearts in the 38th minute when Cammy Devlin was shown a red card for stamping on the ankle of Matondo as the Rangers player shielded the ball from Alex Cochrane on the touchline. Early in the second half, Andy Halliday headed wide from a corner before Kent’s low shot was deflected beyond the far post.

Hearts’ slim hopes of a fightback were ended by substitute Alfredo Morelos, who blasted home from eight yards out after being set up by Tavernier. Kent completed the rout in stoppage time with a brilliant finish, sealing a morale-boasting victory for Rangers before their Champions League trip to Liverpool on Tuesday.

The Rangers manager, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, told the BBC: “We started really well and the first two goals made it easier for us. After the red card we controlled the game and scored two more. Overall, really happy with three points, four goals and a clean sheet.” On Devlin’s dismissal he said: “I really like him as a player. I told him he doesn’t need to make tackles like this.”

Celtic restored their two-point lead after Reo Hatate’s long-range strike earned a narrow 2-1 victory over Motherwell, despite Callum McGregor’s late red card. Kyogo Furuhashi struck from close range early on but Celtic gifted Motherwell an equaliser following a mix-up between Josip Juranovic and Joe Hart, with the defender’s back pass ending up as an own goal.

Hatate restored Celtic’s lead in the 64th minute, firing home from 25 yards after Jota picked him out from a corner. McGregor was dismissed with a minute left after the captain brought down Ross Tierney. Ange Postecoglou’s side now travel to Germany for a Champions League meeting with RB Leipzig on Wednesday.

St Mirren climbed to third place after Alex Greive’s 90th-minute winner earned a 2-1 win over Livingston, despite Jonah Ayunga’s red card. The hosts took the lead through Keanu Baccus before Ayunga was dismissed for handball. Sean Kelly missed the resulting penalty but Livingston equalised through Bruce Anderson, only for Greive to bundle home a dramatic winner.

Ryan Porteous followed up his impressive Scotland debut against Ukraine with the opening goal as Hibernian won 2-0 at Ross County. The defender got the opening goal early in the second half, before Martin Boyle added a late second. St Johnstone extended their unbeaten run to three games with a 2-1 win at Dundee United.

There was no happy return to Pittodrie for Derek McInnes as his Kilmarnock side were soundly beaten 4-1 by Aberdeen. Vicente Besuijen opened the scoring for the home side before Bojan Miovski netted twice, the first a penalty kick, either side of Ash Taylor’s header. Anthony Stewart headed home a fourth just after the hour.